Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Had to Back Out of a Commitment Today

As a volunteer youth worker, I do my best to make and keep commitments with students. However, sometimes I have to back out. I hate that because I do my absolute best to model the importance of keeping commitments even when it comes at a personal sacrifice.

Tomorrow I was supposed to spend a few hours with a student who is helping with our Vacation Bible School at church. He lives pretty far from the church and relies on his family to take him back and forth to church events. I was hoping to alleviate their driving tomorrow by keeping him around until the youth event tomorrow night.

Unfortunately, an appointment came up for tomorrow that I couldn't afford to turn down. That's where my internal conflict comes in. In my heart, I would turn down the appointment without thinking twice because my passion and commitment is to serving Christ by serving students. However, my bills still need to be paid.

I am very fortunate to be in the business I'm in. I have more free time than anybody should be allowed to have, but still make enough to live on. I can typically take time off when I need to for vacation or taking the students to summer camp. It's a good deal.

Times like this, however, are a real struggle for me. I wish there was a way to have my cake and eat it too; make commitments to students and still be able to do all of the appointments that come my way.

The good news is that I've earned a few credits with this student. We've built up a good rapport and he knows my heart has his best interest in mind. I'm taking next Monday off to go with him and Kyle Cleveland to Magic Mountain. If, however, I flake out on that or other events, I'll begin burning up my credits with this student and be just another adult who makes promises that he doesn't intend to keep. Proverbs refers to this as a raincloud that produces no rain.

My point to all of this is more on a personal level. If you get anything out of it, that's a bonus. I'm writing this blog post more as a way of writing myself a reminder about the importance of making commitments sparingly unless I am certain I can follow through. I also need to actively build credibility with those under my care by being a consistent source of predictable support in their lives.

The reward, as well as the consequence, will be placed on the head of the student more than it will on me. The worst thing that can happen to me is that I lose the trust and respect of the student. The worst thing that can happen to the student is that he can lose his ability to trust others and become cynical. The best thing that can happen to him is that he will be so blessed by my ministry to him that he ministers to others, bearing the fruit of my ministry investment in his life. That's a reward both of us get to enjoy as well as the people he ministers to.

No comments: