Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Search For A Youth Ministry Job, Pt. 1

Seeking God's will for my life, I've started searching out youth ministry positions. I'll post blogs as I go through this process. It's only been a few days since starting this search, but I've been praying about this now for a few months.

Sunday night I responded to a few youth ministry positions posted on YouthSpecialties.com. Monday I received a request for a resume and also posted my resume on YouthSpecialties.com. Tonight I received another request from the Reno area for a resume and application package. It seems like a great opportunity, but I have some questions about the strength of their theology.

Tonight I got an e-mail from the church in Yorba Linda that requested my resume. They want to interview me on Saturday.

This seems to be a lot in such a short amount of time. It is. However, I'm definitely not in a rush. I've gone too quickly into youth ministry positions in the past and been burned pretty badly.

I'm very encouraged by the response, but will ask tough questions and do some due diligence before accepting anything.

There is another opportunity I'm working on in the background. It's not a for-sure opening, yet. This one is at the top of my list, but have to be patient for the process.

With all of this going on, one of my options is that I could keep doing what I'm doing. I love my ministry as a volunteer and feel fulfilled doing it. My only purpose in this search is to test the drive I have for youth ministry. I want to see if God is leading me to get back into full time ministry. If the answer is no, I'm happy to keep things the way they are. If it's yes, I will be so happy to be back on staff in youth ministry.

Please pray for me as I go through this process.

Thanks,

Dennis

2 comments:

Ange said...

Hey Dennis,
Funny thing...last week during SLC I was thinking, "I wonder if Dennis will ever go into full time youth ministry." I think it's great you're following God, even if it means staying put. I'll pray for you...

Dennis Beckner said...

Thanks! That's awesome you left that comment. I feel encouraged by it.