Saturday, June 21, 2008

I Love Youth Ministry

Tonight I caught the last couple of hours at an event called Freshman Frenzy. It's where we bring all of the incoming freshmen on a bunch of fun events like laser tag, bowling, kill ball, etc. All we do is play and connect with them. At the end of the night we give out our summer calendar of events and some sign up forms. It a way of welcoming them into high school ministry.

Tonight during the games I sat on the sidelines and talked to students. I had some great conversations. This is one of my favorite events of the year because:

1. I get to help students feel like they made a good connection with the High School Ministry so they'll feel more welcomed when they come to other events and services
2. Freshmen are my favorite age group because they're entering a whole new part of life and welcome some direction. This event can serve as a launching pad for relationships which allow that to happen.
3. They're loud and out of control. I'd much rather ask a freshman to calm down than pry a sentence out of a senior. It's so fun to talk to these kids.
4. Seeing them all together oozes potential. I know many of them will not be in church anymore by their senior year. However, some of them will be leading our ministry by that time. I love seeing a group with so much potential and to start building bridges that will help them become leaders.

We had a lot of fun and I think we'll see some great leaders come out of this group.

Dennis

No comments: