Friday, June 27, 2008

Saddleback Refinery - Free Lunch Fridays Started Today

Today from 12:00 - 3:00 Saddleback Church's Refinery (Student Ministries building) was open to students for free lunch and games. What I loved about this event was the lack of programming. The program was to feed students, let them play the games and let staff and volunteers get to know them.

I met some incoming 9th graders, some older students who are totally tied in but I hadn't met before, and several students playing pool and shuffle board. It's so incredibly easy to meet and talk with students in this setting.

The highlight of my day was talking to a former small group student of mine who graduated a couple of years ago. He's had a little bit of trouble in his life and it was good to see that he's on the right path now. We caught up on life and recaptured some of the closeness we felt back in the day. It was awesome.

Free lunch Fridays happens every Friday until the end of July from 12:00 - 3:00. It's a great event for volunteers and students alike.

Dennis Beckner
My web page
My Twitter

3 comments:

Unknown said...

dude, it was SUPER having you there. You're a STUD!

JG

Dennis Beckner said...

Thanks, Josh. You're the man. I appreciate the encouragement.

- Dennis

Kyle Cleveland said...

it was a super fun event! i <3 free lunch fridays and dennis beckner@